Monday, July 2, 2012

Hello World

Hi, I'm Dan Jorquera. Over the years I have learned many different techniques that help during the creation of video games. I have even more experience when it comes to what NOT to do when creating games.

Some of the best help I've found while creating games has been from random blogs, like this guy.

I'd like to share a bit of my experience to help fledgling game designers in their quest to finish a project. Degrees in Game Design are becoming more and more popular within universities, but because the programs are still so young, I don't think they fully prepare students/graduates for the nightmares and tribulations that come with programming or game design in general. So, this is my way of paying it forward or something. When someone who has just graduated, came up with a great game idea, then ran into a brick wall because nothing is rendering, slamming their face into their keyboard over and over because the main character still won't jump, I'd like to be a potential resource for them. There are a lot of little tips and tricks that, if I'd known earlier, could have saved me a lot of time and hassle.

Here's my first tip: Don't get a degree in Game Design. :D Okay, okay, maybe there's some amazing programs out there, but I think that taking a program that focuses in either programming or art would be time (and money) better spent. If you're determined to go the game design route, just try your best to learn as much programming or art-design-stuff on your own. Even if you are focusing on the programming or art route, the more time you spend playing with the programs and tools they don't show in school, the better equipped you'll be when you're done with school. One plus, though, if you take game design instead of programming, you'll also likely get out of taking Calculus... win! (It's what I did.)

Oh, you're already graduated? You're ready to make a game of your own? Alright, here's my first quick tip for you. Start small. Make sure you (and/or your team) already know how to do whatever you need to do to complete the game. Guesstimate how much time it will take to complete the project; then triple it. Games take forever to finish and polish. That's just how it is.

More specific tips will be coming your way soon. Specifically, tips for Flash and other game design tools, and suggestions on what kind of tools are actually useful.

Welcome to my blog. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment